Farmhouse before Middlesbrough town
There was a farmhouse on a section of ground raised higher than the marshes. In 1801 only 25 people lived in this area so the idea of a purpose built railway town using the American grid system here was startling. It's reported that John Parrington the farmer, exclaimed, "Build a town here! What! In this out of the way place!"
Building plots were offered for sale in February 1830, the first house was built in West Street in April, the first child being born there in August before the branch line had even opened in December. Clearly things were moving apace. The old farmhouse appears on the extreme left of this painting below from 1832, it wasn't demolished until 1936.
Page Edna Reddy